Juice from 3 oranges and 2 Limes
1/4 large onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
a lot of freshly ground black pepper
several pinches of kosher salt
2 Tbsp of Mexican oregano
1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
1 Tbsp of Cumin
1/3 Cup of White Vinegar
1 large tomato, cut into chunks
1/4 large onion, quartered
3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (canned)
1 cup water
1 cup beef broth
1 lime, juiced
more salt and pepper
your favorite salsa
limes for squeezing
1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a 2-gallon Ziploc bag. Add the beef and let marinate overnight in the fridge.
2. When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a blender or small food processor add fresh tomato, quartered onion, chipotle chiles, water, beef broth, and lime juice. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
3. Heat a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, remove the roast from the marinade and shake off excess liquid. Sear the roast for a few minutes on each side until a deep brown crust forms. Remove from heat.
4. Add the barbacoa puree on top of the beef roast and place in the preheated oven. Roast for approximately three hours, or until the beef is very tender and shreds easily.
5. Shred the beef.
6. Make tacos! Serve the beef in corn tortillas with all the toppings, including fresh-squeezed lime.