A delicious Italian "lasagna" bake without the noodles.
Turkey, Ground - 1 lb
Oil, Olive - 1 tbsp
Onions - 1 cup, chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
One generous pinch Italian seasoning
Tomato Sauce, Canned - 1 can (15 oz)
1 can diced Tomatoes, with juice (15 oz)
Zucchini, 5 - 6 medium, thinly sliced into long strips
Salt - to taste
Pepper - to taste
Mozzarella, shredded - 2 cups
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a large skillet over med-high heat saute ground turkey until brown and cooked throughout. Remove from pan.
3. In same skillet add olive oil, onions, garlic, and spices. When onions are translucent add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and ground turkey. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. In a baking dish spread a small amount of tomato/turkey mixture on bottom. Alternate layer of zucchini strips with sauce. Top each layer of sauce with shredded mozzarella, adding additional mozzarella on top.
5. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and place in oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until cheese is brown and bubbly.
6. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Stephanie Krause