* 1 onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, or 1/4 tsp dried
* 6 cups water
* 3 tsp chicken bouillon or "better than bouillon paste"
* 1 - 2 cups dried lentils
* 1 can cannellini, garbanzo, or kidney beans, drained
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced or stewed tomatoes, chopped (also use juice)
* 1/2 cup diced carrots
* 1/2 cup chopped celery (optional)
* 1 zucchini, sliced
* 1 teaspoon garam masala
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom (optional)
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 T tomato paste
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* salt & pepper to taste (use generously)
Saute onions, garlic, and celery in olive oil for about five minutes. Start the water boiling in a large pot and begin adding all the other vegetables and spices to it. Add the sauteed onion mixture to the large pot. Simmer on med-low for 40 - 60 minutes, checking the lentils for "doneness." Enjoy! The stew thickens up a lot overnight.
*If you want to make it vegetarian, you could use 3 c. vegetable broth and 3 c. water (and omit the chicken flavoring).